Listen on: iPhone Radio Stream Droid Radio Stream iTunes Radio Stream Winamp Radio Stream Windows Media Player Radio Stream Foobar Radio Stream

Thursday, July 7, 2011

[on repeat] THE DOWN by Hypocrite In A Hippy Crypt

The Down

Town Crazies (previously on CWR)

The last time I posted about Hypocrite In A Hippy Crypt I only had the three songs that are available on the band's Bandcamp to work with.  Those tunes alone were enough to catch my interest and that's what I expressed on the post.  Since then, I've been able to to get a hold of a copy of the whole debut LP Tweaker In The Park (buy) and my enjoyment of his songwriting abilities has grown even more.  The rest of the LP follows along in the same simplistic sound
with Beatles-esque qualities of distant vocals and catchy harmonies, of which you can clearly hear in the track 'The Down,' but this catalog of 'simple' tunes does so much more.  The breezy vocals that yearn with emotion pull at you and that's what I think catches my attention the most.  Some people might call it a folk record from a singer/songwriter, but it's much more than that to my ears, especially on songs like 'Poptimistic' and 'Thoughts Collected,' which you'll be able to hear if you listen to the Chromewaves Radio stream.  It's unfortunate that the entire album isn't available for streaming at the Bandcamp site, but now you've heard four of the 11 songs on the LP, and you can catch a few others on the radio stream.  If you like what you hear you'd be doing yourself a favor by picking up your own copy of the LP here because it's a pretty damn consistent set of tunes.  I'm not saying it'll blow your mind, but there's a definite quality about it.  The record was released June 7th on Gulcher Records

[Bandcamp | Gulcher]

No comments:

Post a Comment